GPA-WI does not perform on-site, on-the-fly adoptions. Our adoption process closely monitor’s Wisconsin’s Dane County Humane Society protocol and includes a written application, interview and home visit. This process yields a higher percentage of successful adoptions, and most importantly, quality homes for the dogs. Additionally, GPA-WI offers a support network available to all adopters for the life of their ex-racers, and many adopters contact GPA-WI for a second or third greyhound.
We conduct a thorough application and home visit process in order to develop a profile of adopters. Then we aim to match the right greyhound with the right home. Due to this optimal placement procedure, not all the adoptable greyhounds featured at our website will necessarily be a good fit for your unique family circumstances.
Not everyone qualifies to adopt. If you are looking for a gentle, loving, family companion who will be a house dog, you’re our kind of adopter. If you don’t have adequate time, or you’re looking for a backyard or doghouse-style dog, greyhounds are not the dog for you; please don’t apply.
GPA-WI application process
GPA-WI does not sell greyhounds, nor do we give them away. We believe that getting a greyhound is an adoption process:
- Adoption application: All potential adopters are asked to complete a written application, which gives us background information about the individual or family.
- Telephone interview: The application is followed up by a telephone interview conducted by a GPA-WI volunteer. During the phone interview, the volunteer answers questions and addresses the special needs of the ex-racing greyhound — those needs range from being on leash in the outside world to being a house dog to special medical requirements.
- Home visit: The next step is an in-home visit where a GPA-WI adoption rep will visit the potential adopter’s home. The adoption rep will usually take his or her own greyhound so the adopters can envision a greyhound in their own house. We use this visit to gather information about what the family is looking for in a dog, the family’s schedule and the safety of the home environment as well as getting to know any other pets the family may have.
- Meet potential greyhounds: Once an adopter is approved, the adoption rep will schedule an appointment for the adopter to meet greyhounds at the GPA-WI kennel located in Burlington. The time between approval and visiting the kennel may be a few weeks, so please be patient! The wait is worth it. At the kennel, the adopter will meet currently adoptable dogs that best fit the adopter’s needs.
- Foster home: After the adopter selects a greyhound at the kennel, the greyhound will spend two weeks in a foster home. GPA-WI adoptions rely on greyhound-savvy families to act as foster homes for ex-racers to make the transition to home life to prepare for adoption; most retired greyhounds have never seen stairs, doors and windows.
- Formal adoption: A time is scheduled for the formal adoption. During this session, which lasts approximately one hour, the GPA-WI volunteer and adopting family will complete paperwork, and answer any additional questions. We ask for an adoption fee to help cover our expenses associated with placing the greyhound.