Greyhound Pets of America (GPA) is a nationwide, non-profit, volunteer-supported organization dedicated to the placement of ex-racing greyhounds in ideal home situations.
The Wisconsin chapter works in pursuit of the national mission statement: The purpose of GPA is to find responsible loving homes for Greyhounds, to acquaint the public with the desirability of Greyhounds as pets, and to inform them of the availability of Greyhounds for adoption.
GPA-WI is a greyhound-placement organization that accepts greyhounds primarily from greyhound racetracks and farms within North America. Through a network of local veterinarians, our organization provides full examinations, spaying, neutering, dental care and other needed medical procedures prior to adoption.
GPA-WI’s adoption operations rely heavily upon greyhound-savvy families to act as temporary foster homes for ex-racers to make the transition to home life while awaiting adoption. The fostering family helps a greyhound explore a home — most have never seen stairs or patio doors, recuperate from spay or neuter surgery, learn good manners, and best of all, learn that the transition to becoming a pet is journey filled with love. Due to the foster home process, GPA-WI is allows each adopted greyhound to join its new family in the best possible condition. GPA-WI volunteers work closely with each prospective greyhound owner, matching them with a dog whose personality is most ideally suited to its new home situation to ensure a lasting, rewarding relationship.
GPA-WI’s adoption operation has placed many ex-racing greyhounds in responsible, loving homes since we began in 1989. We have grown to place approximately 100 or more dogs in homes each year.
GPA-Wisconsin’s 2019 board of directors are:
- Kay Fleming — President, Emal Kay >>
- Vice President — (vacant)
- Kerry Hass — Director of Intake, Email Kerry >>
- Treasurer (vacant)
- Dave Baux — Secretary, Email Dave >>
- Ginger Gill — At-large Board Member, Email Ginger >>
Other key volunteers to GPA-WI’s operations include:
- Donelle Anderson — Eau Claire Area Events Coordinator, Email Donelle >>
- Chad Anderson — Madison Area Social Events CoordinatorJon Case — Madison Area Fundraising Coordinator
- Kay Fleming — Adoption Coordinator, Email Kay >>
- Malinda Gilbertson — La Crosse Area Events Coordinator, Email Malinda >>
- Ginger Gill — Foster Home Coordinator, Email Ginger >>
- Kerry Hass – Volunteer Coordinator, Email Kerry >>
- Rich McVicar — Loose, Lost or Found Greyhound Hotline Coordinator, Email Rich >>
- Sara Ross — Milwaukee Area Events Coordinator, Email Sara >>
- Penny Wick — Education & Intake Coordinator, Email Penny >>
GPA-Wisconsin is licensed by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) and operates under Wisconsin Dog Seller and Dog Facility Operator license number 400288-DS.
GPA-Wisconsin is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) animal welfare organization for tax and donation purposes. Our EIN is 39-1886802.